Under normal circumstances, it would be very unusual for anyone to accuse a true entrepreneur of fearing change. Pure entrepreneurs are not risk adverse. In fact, they are often accused of wanting to change too much – weekly!
Entrepreneurs lay it all on the line, often risking everything to bring something new and valuable to the world, but at least three recent developments are causing even the most daring entrepreneurs to pause, and in some cases, stop moving forward altogether.
- The pace of change in the world around us, particularly in the realm of technology, creates confusion and uncertainty. How do I stay current and relevant with my product or service? How do I connect with the people who might be interested in what I do? Should I be tweeting? The world is changing very quickly around us, making it more challenging to see a clear path ahead.
- Trying flavor of the month solutions that haven’t worked makes us more resistant to trying or changing something in the future.
- The stakes are higher. The economic environment is less forgiving. If we get it wrong, we’ll most likely be out of business and lose our shirts – and maybe more.
For those of us who have been around for a while, the temptation is to play it safe, pull our heads into our shells and hope for the best, but I am encouraging all entrepreneurs, even us older dogs, to CHANGE. Get in the game, and play smart, starting with these three specific steps forward:
- Get a system – dial in everything you do: how you plan; how you surround yourself with great people; how you track your progress objectively and predict well; how you resolve your issues as they arise; how you create consistency in your core processes and how you create an environment of accountability and discipline that produces consistent traction (explore EOS, the Entrepreneurial Operating System)
- Get tools – the right tools will make all the difference for your team, enabling them to perform closer to or at their full potential (download free tools from the EOS Toolbox)
- Get moving – if you change nothing, don’t expect your experience or results to change. (move through the EOS Process)
You can do this and there are lots of people out there willing to come along side and help you make progress. Get rid of the fear, get going and enjoy your journey.